1. It sews up super fast. (Strip piecing is key!)
2. The ribbon sewn into the top makes it look way more complicated than it really is.
3. This is the first quilt I designed myself!!
So, below you will find the tutorial. As always, if you have questions, ask away!
Nikki, In Stitches
3/8 yard of each of 4 fabrics for top center
3/8 yard of inner border fabric
1 1/4 yards of outer border fabric (Only 3/4 yard needed, if border is pieced.)
2 3/4 yards of backing fabric
3/8 yard of binding fabric
4 1/2 yards of 7/8″ wide grosgrain ribbon
4 1/2 yards of 5/8″ wide double-sided fusible
Decorative thread for permanently attaching ribbon to quilt top
Basic sewing supplies
2. Cut 2 strips 2 1/2″ wide from each of the 4 prints for top center. (Strips will be 2 1/2″ x length of fabric, approximately 42″.) You will cut 8 strips total.
5. Cut one 2 1/2″ strip from each of the 4 fabrics for the top center. Crosscut each into 2 smaller pieces, 2 1/2″ x 16″. Save the left overs!
6. Sew the 8 shorter strips together as in Step 2. Press in one direction.
7. Crosscut into 2 1/2″ pieces, just as in Step 3, to make 6 more Unit A’s. (You should now have 22 Unit A’s.)
8. Cut 2 strips 2 1/2″ wide from each of the 4 prints for top center. (Again, strips will be 2 1/2″ x length of fabric, approximately 42″.) Crosscut each into 2 smaller pieces, 2 1/2″ x 34″. Save the left overs!
12. Sew rows together, using the charts below as guides.
13. Cut 61 pieces of ribbon, each 2 1/2″ long.
14. Cut 61 pieces of fusible, each 2 1/2″ long.
15. Using Chart 2 as a guide, iron the ribbon to the corresponding squares.
18. From inner border fabric, cut 2 pieces 1 1/2″ x 34 1/2″. Sew one to each side of the quilt top. Press seams out.
19. From inner border fabric, cut 2 pieces 1 1/2″ x 36 1/2″. Sew one to the top, then bottom of the quilt top. Press seams out.
21. From outer border fabric, cut 2 pieces 4 1/2″ x 44 1/2″. Sew one to the top, then bottom of the quilt top. Press seams out.
You can visit the following two tutorials I posted last year for step-by-step directions to quilt and bind your finished product:
A Quilt Sambo! – How to pin baste your layers together and stitch in the ditch
Bound and Determined – How to assemble your binding and attach it to your quilt