Today’s topic of conversation: .svg files.
And no, this is not a “tech” post, but it is this month’s Silhouette tutorial, so if you’re not a Silhouette CAMEO or Portrait owner, I won’t be upset if you stop reading now. If, however, you are a Silhouette cutting system owner, or would like to be soon, you may want to keep reading… .svg files can bring a lot of fun to your projects!
Back to those files…
Until I bought my Silhouette CAMEO, I did not know what .svg files were, and I imagine many of you don’t know either.
So, .svg files are Scalable Vector Graphics. (See where the svg comes from?)
Simply put, it’s a format for some graphic design files.
And why are these important to us Silhouette owning crafters?
Because we’d like to be able to use these in our projects, right?
Good news and bad news coming your way.
Bad news: The software that comes free with your Silhouette cutting system can not open .svg files.
Good news: The Silhouette Studio® Designer Edition software (that DOES allow you to open and manipulate .svg files!) is on sale this month!
Aside from everything that the basic Silhouette Studio software has to offer, the Silhouette Studio® Designer Edition also includes:
- The ability to open, manipulate, and cut .svg files
- Rhinestone tools to convert designs into rhinestone templates and create your own rhinestone designs
- Sketch tools to convert designs into several styles of sketchable art
- Creative knife tools to allow you to clip designs using different patterns
- An enhanced eraser set to modify designs with more precision
- A built-in ruler and guide lines for precise alignment and drawing
And of all of these, for many of you, the ability to cut .svg files is probably the most interesting. It might not sound like a big deal, but most of the files you see offered as freebies and “designs of the day” are in this format, so to be able to not only cut them, but also manipulate them to fit your project, makes this added feature kind of a deal breaker.
There are a ton of sites that offer free .svg files. (Some of them will even send one to your inbox every morning!) A quick google search will give you some of the most popular. I chose SVGCuts.com today to feature, just because I loved this little hot air balloon so much, and I thought it was a generic enough design that many of you would get use out of it. Below you’ll find a video demonstrating exactly how to open and manipulate an .svg file. The same steps can be applied to any .svg file you’d like to work with!
If you’d like to pick up the hot air balloon file for yourself, you can find it here: http://svgcuts.com/blog/2013/06/15/hot-air-balloon-svg/
And if you’re reading this post in your inbox, and can’t see the video, click here to be taken right to the Nikki, In Stitches site!
And now for the sale details!
The software alone is also on sale!
Ready to start shopping?
And be sure to use promo code STITCHES to get your discount!
Remember, the following three things are on sale this month:
- Silhouette Studio® Designer Edition Software (MSRP $49.99) on sale for $24.99
- Silhouette Portrait™ with Silhouette Studio® Designer Edition Software (MSRP $249.98) on sale for $129.99
- Silhouette Cameo® with Silhouette Studio® Designer Edition Software (MSRP $348.98) on sale for $269.99
This offer is only good from 7/1/13 to 7/10/13!