What do you get when you gather a bunch of crafters together and ask them to team up for some DIY fun?
More crafty ideas than you know what to do with!
I’m so excited to kick off a weekly “round robin” of crafty fun with my fellow “veterans of the crafty war”….my fellow competitors on Craft Wars!
Starting today, and continuing each Tuesday throughout the rest of the summer, we’ll be posting DIY’s and how-to’s based off of the previous weeks’ Craft Wars theme.
So today (considering last week’s first round challenge was to make a birdhouse and the second round challenge was to make patio furniture using pool and beach supplies!) we are all posting birdhouse or beach inspired projects.
And, since right now I am actually at the beach, enjoying a few days of fun in the sun and relaxing with my toes in the sand, I’m reposting a fan favorite from last summer….my homemade tic tac toe game. It’s not only the perfect project to make with your children, but to also enjoy with them. And, if you aren’t at the beach, grab some sidewalk chalk and play outside at home…it’s just as much fun!
Take a peek at the rest of the Craft War’s competitors beach themed projects below.(Scroll down even more for my tic tac toe how-to!) Be sure to stop by their blogs, Facebook pages, etc. This cast is crafty to say the least! And you’ll love all of the amazing ideas they have! Pretty much, we’re creating a very long DIY to-make list for you…that’s how much you’re going to love this crew!
And of course, tune in tonight at 10/9c to TLC for this week’s Craft Wars episode!
Nikki, In Stitches
Want to see projects by the other Craft Wars contestants? See their birdhouse or beach inspired projects by clicking the links below!
- Margot Potter’s Junque Drawer Birdhouse – LOVE her layered painting technique!
- Bollywood Birdhouse by Andrea and Cliff from Hand Make My Day – Too, too cute!
- Mandi’s “Redemption” Birdhouse – This is a must see! Mandi (the amazing talent behind Vintage Revivals) was eliminated in the first round for her birdhouse, so be sure to check out her new and improved, with paint, birdhouse…it’s on my must make list for this summer!
- Angela Daniels from Cooking, Crafting, and Cocktails – Her colorful birdhouse is easy to make and she’ll have you laughing out loud while you read her post!
- Lisa “Liza Lou” Fulmer – Lisa’s foundation for her birdhouse is a reclaimed wooden bucket…love the twist this gives her project!
And now my contribution!
Original posted August 2nd, 2011
Any guesses what these cute little stars and circles are?
Here’s a hint:
Tic Tac Toe anyone??
Yup, my little guy and I whipped these up the other day, getting ready for our vacation at the beach coming soon. I love these for two reasons. First, we’re going to have a blast next week, and these little goodies will keep us busy in the sand for hours. But second, I love them because we made them together. Half way through, when we both had paint covered hands and couldn’t stop giggling at the smears across our cheeks, my heart swelled and I knew I had found the perfect project for that rainy afternoon.
So gather your supplies, and your little ones, and enjoy!
Nikki, In Stitches
5 Paper Mache Stars and 5 Paper Mache Circles (I found these in the unfinished wood section of my local craft store. They are actually meant to be ornaments, so they come with a thin string at the top for hanging. Just pull that right out, and you’ve got a tic tac toe game pieces!)
1 Piece of Scrap Cardstock to Make Templates
Assorted Scrapbook Papers
Pencil, Scissors, and Ruler
1. Paint paper mache ornaments with base color and allow to fully dry.
2. Trace each ornament shape on the scrap cardstock to make a template of both the circle and the star. Measure 1/8″ in, on all sides, and trim templates. (You want your finished cut pieces about 1/8″ smaller all around than the actual ornaments.)
3. Cut 10 of each shape out of your assorted scrapbook papers. (5 ornaments of each shape X 2 sides = 10 of each shape needed!)
4. Following manufacturer’s instructions, adhere the scrapbook papers to the painted ornaments.
5. Add some sun and sand, and have tons of fun!!