Yeah! The hard part is over! All of our blocks are complete! Because the individual blocks are all so different, and the fabrics look a little busy when so many are used in combination, I’ve decided to keep the remainder of this project very simple. I’ve used a simple sashing, with no corner squares, and the most basic border, again with no corner squares or mitered edges. This really is the easy part. You will be cutting long strips of fabric, so refer back to my cutting basics if necessary. Other than that, straight seams, not too much pinning…the end is in sight!
- Cut 6 pieces 2 3/4″ x 12 1/2″
- Cut 4 pieces 40 1/2″ x 1 3/4″
- Cut 2 pieces 2 3/4″ x 45 1/2″
Green Floral: 1 1/2 yards (*Only 1/4 yard needed if border strips are pieced.)
- Cut 2 pieces 45 1/2″ x 2 3/4″
- Cut 2 pieces 2 3/4″ x 50
The placement of your blocks is completely up to you. I tried to balance my background fabrics, so that the green tonal fabric was dispersed through the quilt top, and those blocks that had pink or white background fabrics were also evenly found throughout. I also noticed that the dark brown fabric was standing out, so at the same time, I tried to balance its placement.
1. Sew Row 1 of the quilt top together. (I tend to work from left to right, so I would sew pieces in the following order: Row 1 – Block, 2 ¾” x 12 ½” sashing strip, Block, 2 ¾” x 12 ½” sashing strip, Block.) Always press to the sashing strips.
2. Repeat Step 1 for Rows 2 and 3 of the quilt top.
3. Working from top to bottom, sew Rows 1 to 3 together with a 40 ½” x 2 ¾” sashing strip between each. Press to the sashing strips.
4. Sew the remaining to 40 ½” x 2 ¾” sashing strips to the top and bottom of the quilt top, pressing to the sashing strips. (Please note, my pics are flipped here. In the directions, I write top to bottom, yet my pictures show left to right. Considering, our quilt is square, there is no difference as long as you are consistent, but I apoligize for any confusion!)
5. Sew the remaining two 2 ¾” x 45 ½” sashing strips to each side of the quilt top, again pressing to the sashing strips.
6. Sew a 45 ½” x 2 ¾” green border strip to the top and bottom of the quilt top. Press out to the borders.
7. Sew a 2 ¾” x 50” green border strip to each side of the quilt top, pressing out to the borders.
For other posts from Nikki, In Stitches related to the Relay Quilt, please see the following: